November 24, 2012

A Former Resident's View of Toadhall


My 27-year-old daughter came for a visit last week, and I got fresh eyes about my house. She’s lived in several apartments, and has also shared houses with owners in San Francisco, London and New York.

She helped us winnow down what we "must do" to make it worthy, while also helping us see beyond all the beaten up, poorly done, "needs work" things I can't not see anymore.

She reminded me that she’d always loved this bedraggled, imperfect house, and everything that she loved about it is still here- the gorgeous light through the rooms, a mix of big celebratory spaces (where we even added a disco ball!), and small niches that I’d helped the family create to give us each our own bit of privacy. The neighborhood is terrific, historic, great character, safe with all sorts of hip and funky and fine places you can walk to, plus it’s an easy trip to “The City” she loves.

These are all things our housemates will crave. If the group spaces are welcoming, and there are small details in the intimate corners for ease and privacy (that's my job), plus access to so much in the area around us, then we have real amenities to offer.


No comments:

Post a Comment