December 6, 2012

The Kitchen


I figured out the kitchen today.

I’ve lain awake nights trying to reform what we call our "Vortex Kitchen" so it flows for 3 more people trying to prep or cook a meal at overlapping times in the evening. We have a big kitchen that can accommodate several cooks, except  for one thing: There’s this central butcher block island with a stove top right across from the sink. 

Great you think. 

But no. The real chopping space, and ALL the cabinetry is on the other side, so you spin around the island every time you need a bowl for mixing, a spice for seasoning the cooking pot, or a fork for stirring. We’ve crowded the island with canisters of utensils, and we just chop veggies on the tiny side areas by the cooking elements. 

But it hungers to be a collective kitchen…and now I know how to do it, and not have everyone feeling like they’re intruding into my kitchen, or waiting too late to start their own meal when others are finally at the sink washing up.

Ideally, with budget, I can accommodate a second cook with a second work triangle created by 2 sinks pivoting around a cook area. That what they teach you. But I might have 3 cooks, and 4 individuals trying to store food, and I don't have an ideal budget either. Two triangle areas, especially 2 sinks just may not happen. Luckily, I have a separated cook set up: My oven/convection microwave is around the other side from the cook top side of the island. So if I drop a free-standing range  into the place where the oven is, I would have 2 cook tops,  one on each side and …then, I’ve found a place next to the sink for a smaller fridge.

Wait, too costly. Think simpler, Loni.  Plus, if I expand the oven into a full stove top range, I may have to remove an overhead cabinet that's too close. No, storage is precious. Instead, I'll get a two-grill electrical unit that will plug in as needed, where it's needed, and use it as an expansion of stovetop cooking. Flexible.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment